ALC History

(http://alcportland NULL.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/image1 NULL.jpg)

Early in 1958, the Northwest District of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod determined a need for a church in the growing eastside of Portland.  A young vicar, Richard P. Brewer, was called to start the church.  He arrived in August and was ordained and installed in September, 1958.  The first services were held at South Rockwood School, later to become Portland Lutheran School.  By August 9, 1959, the church had grown to 76 communicant members and they held their first service in the new church.

 

 

(http://alcportland NULL.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/image2 NULL.png)In 1970, the church had been remodeled to accommodate more Sunday School children and a growing worship attendance. In 1976, we started the Ascension Early Childhood Education Center. We offer a certified education center and are still offering exceptional education to 3-5 year olds after 36 years. In 2003, we made the decision to become a mission-minded church, with a new mission statement: “Go and Share Jesus.” That same year, we did with our first trip to Ahouset B.C. Canada.

In 2004, Pastor Bohren received a letter from Dr. Waldo Werning to prayerfully consider going to India as part of the “Catch a Vision” program to help train IELC (Indian Evangelical Lutheran Church) pastors. In addition, they requested a woman from our congregation who could also go to help train the women in India. Ascension committed to and raised $14,000 to pay for transportation, lodging and supplies for the pastors and women to be trained. With a leap of faith, God blessed us by not only sending His servants to India, but in making Ascension a mission-minded church and blessing us with renewed confidence, spirit and growth. 

In 2008, we celebrated our 50th anniversary.  We are an active church with many ministries focusing on outreach and mission  Some include our early childhood center, the Soccer Clinic, Vacation Bible School, Hispanic services, supporting Our Father’s House, Snow Cap, Pregnancy Resource Center, Portland Lutheran School and sponsoring mission trips.

In the spring of 2012, our congregation voted to move forward with a capital campaign to achieve funding for a new sanctuary and fellowship space. This added space has long been a part of the vision of our congregation to carry out its mission of sharing Jesus Christ with the community, nation and world. We hope to include future pictures of the new building phase as this exciting expansion moves forward. What a blessing it will be to look back on these pictures of the expansion, just as we now do on the faithful followers who started our church back in 1958.

These pictures are the original building phase

(http://alcportland NULL.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/image3 NULL.jpg)   (http://alcportland NULL.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/image4 NULL.jpg) (http://alcportland NULL.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/image5 NULL.jpg)    (http://alcportland NULL.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/image6 NULL.jpg)

Inside current and last remodel
(http://alcportland NULL.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/image7 NULL.jpg)